- Register yourself or a family member with the 2-1-1 special assistance registry if you will need transportation out of your area. (2-1-1 is not an emergency number to call during a storm – you must pre-register for evacuation transportation.)
- Organize your personal information.
- Generate a complete list of your medications, dosages & times to be taken.
- Create an evacuation plan with family and friends.
- Listen to the radio or TV; stay updated if there is a storm.
- Gather insurance papers, birth certificates, social security cards, and any important files and place them in plastic, Ziplock bags.
- Fill your gas tank and charge your mobile phone.
- Connect with your family and friends about plans to evacuate.
- Don’t forget about your pet!
- Contact 2-1-1 or local authorities about shelters and transportation.
- Get a map of your route. Identify gas stations/restaurants on your route.
- Leave town with time to spare.
- Stay calm, and try to be patient.
- Identify yourself to shelter staff as a person who needs support and explain the support you need.
- Take responsibility for yourself.
- Wait until it is safe to return.
- Contact your family and friends. (Cell phone texting may be available instead of regular phone use.)
- Check to see if your service providers are available and don’t go home until there is: electricity, gas, water, food, trash, emergency and other health services.